Ninth Avenue El, Manhattan, at 59th Street and 60th Street, 1876.
59th Street , opened on June 9, 1879, was a local station on the demolished IRT Ninth Avenue Line. It had two levels. The lower level was built first and had two tracks and two side platforms that served local trains. The upper level was built as part of the Dual Contracts and had one track that served express trains. It closed on June 11, 1940. The next southbound stop was 50th Street for Ninth Avenue trains and Eighth Avenue for IRT Sixth Avenue Line trains. The next northbound stop was 66th Street.
Source of Photograph: New York Historical Society: Photographs of New York City an.d Beyond
#elevated #railroad #ninthaveelevated #irt #newyorkcity #manhattan #1800s #9thaveel #shadbellycars